A Minneapolis tradition was born on October 2, 1947, when the Oak Grill opened for business. Architect Bob Hansen used characteristics from the Jacobean period in the design of the rooms. The ornate fireplace, originally from Salisbury, England, was over 300 years old when it was transported in sections and reassembled in the Oak Grill. With its solid oak columns and vast frame, it soon became the room's focal point. Its distinctive appearance, along with dark paneling, red chairs and dim lighting, help give the Oak Grill its cozy ambiance.