The original Pettibone’s Tavern, on Hartford Road in Simsbury, was built in 1780 for Jonathan Pettibone Jr., whose father, Jonathan Pettibone, had been killed in the fighting around New York in 1776. The Tavern served as a stagecoach stop on the Boston to Albany Turnpike and was also a meeting place where Capt. Elisha Phelps met with Ethan Allen and his Green Mountain Boys to plan the capture of Fort Ticonderoga. The original tavern was burned to the ground by Indians in 1800, but was soon rebuilt and reopened in 1803. In more recent times, the tavern has been a restaurant. It was purchased by the Chart House chain in the 1970s, but under new ownership became known as Pettibone’s Tavern again. In January, the building was damaged after a fire activated the sprinkler system. Today, Abigail's has been completely restored and the restaurant has reopened under new ownership. Come and enjoy our extensive menu of creative continental cuisine and a welcoming New England atmosphere.